NEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR OPI/WPT SIGN UP:
LTI has recently updated their application process for all testing candidates. LTI no longer accepts nor processes paper applications.
Go to: www.languagetesting.com and click on the link in the upper right hand corner to create an account and apply for the test.
Once you create the account, you will be able to search for an application which is listed under University, School or Academic Program as
OHIO UNIVERSITY- DEPT OF MODERN LANG.
- Two senior French majors have been selected for the Teaching Assistant Program in France for the 2014-2015 academic year. Danielle Fultz has been assigned to the Académie d’Aix-Marseille. Ben Schaible will teach in the Académie de Rouen. Congratulations to Danielle and Ben!
• SPANISH MA STUDENT Ariadna Sánchez-Hernández who won 1st place in the Arts and Humanities graduate category for her presentation on pragmatic routines in the study abroad context at the Student Research Expo 2014, Ohio University (April 10). http://www.ohio.edu/graduate/expowelcome.cfm
• SPANISH HTC STUDENT Hannah Abrahamson who won first place in the undergraduate category of Arts and Humanities with her presentation on “Representations of the Mayan Woman in the Conquest and Colonization of the Yucatán” at the Student Research Expo 2014, Ohio University (April 10). http://www.ohio.edu/graduate/expowelcome.cfm
• SPANISH HTC STUDENT Brittany Frodge who presented “Informalist Art as Francoist Diplomacy” at the Student Research Expo 2014, Ohio University (April 10).
• FRENCH HTC STUDENT James Schrickel who presented “The Revival of the French Peasant and Traditional Agriculture: The Conflict Between Heritage and Efficiency” at the Student Research Expo 2014, Ohio University (April 10)
• SPANISH HTC STUDENT Kristen Helmsdoerfer who presented “Transnational narrative: Re-examining the Quijote from a Latin American Lens” at the Student Research Expo 2014, Ohio University (April 10).
• FRENCH STUDENT Danielle Fultz who presented “The Inequalities in France’s Egalista’ For First Generation North African Muslims at the Student Research Expo 2014, Ohio University (April 10).
• SPANISH MA STUDENTS Puli García-Torres and Ariadna Sánchez-Hernández who gave research presentations at the Kentucky Foreign Language Conference 2014 in Lexington, Kentucky, this past weekend (April 11 and 12). They both did an outstanding job and received great comments!
Congratulations to the new initiates into Sigma Delta Pi, Spanish National Honors Society.
Thirteen students celebrated their new membership this week.
Alicia Sánchez Flores
Adobea Hii Owoo
Éster Sánchez Hernández
Congratulations once again. This is quite an honor!
18th Annual Spanish Spring Colloquium
The Annual Spanish Colloquium took place March 27-29. Below is a link to a blog with more information about it.
Congratulations to Kristina Carson and the French Club!
Congratulations to the French Club that has won Outstanding Programming Award for Fall 2013 from the Division of Student Affairs at the Leadership Gala. The DML will mount the plaque in the main office for all to see. A special thank you and congratulations goes to Kristina Carson, French Club President who made this a reality.
(Dr.) Daniel Torres presented “Encuentros personales y textuales con José Emilio Pacheco’” [Personal and Textual Encounters with José Emilio Pacheco] in the Feria Internacional de Lectura de Yucatán 2014 [International Reading Fair in the Yucatan 2014] this March. Elena Poniatowska (Premio Cervantes 2013) was part of his audience. He also presented “Aproximaciones críticas a El Cantar de los Cantares y Una noche de Constantino Cavafis en palabras de José Emilio Pacheco” [Critical Approximations To Song of Song And A Night by Constantin Cavafis In the Words of José Emilio Pacheco] last week.
Ariadna Sánchez-Hernández, an Spanish MA student and a member of the Institute for the Empirical Study of Language, gave a poster presentation entitled “Transferability of Second Languages into Spanish as a Third Language.” The venue was the International Student Union (ISU) Research Symposium. The symposium took place on Friday, February 21, 2014m, 12-4 pm, at Walter Rotunda, Ohio University, Athens campus. Her presentation was a success! Congratulations, Ari!
Please join me in congratulating all of our faculty associated with our undergraduate program in Modern Languages (French, Spanish, and German)! These programs just received national recognition (With Conditions) by the America Council on The Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). We are delighted to receive this recognition of the growing strength of our academic programs. (R. Middleton, College of Education)
And a special thank you to Barb Reichenbach who submitted all the reports!
Summer Session 2014 – French Translation (FR5810, 5820). For graduate programs that require a reading knowledge of French, this is the course for you! Please let us know if you plan to take the course this summer. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Two German majors receive teaching Fulbright for 2013-14
The Department of Modern Languages is happy to recognize Ashley Enyeart and Chelsea Patton, German majors, who have received Teaching Fulbrights for 2013-14 in Germany.
Click here to read more about it!
Attention Business or Economic majors! If you plan to study a foreign language through an Ohio University Study Abroad Program there is a new scholarship that you can apply for! See the Department of Modern Languages in Gordy 283 or send us an email at email@example.com for more information.