- About Us
- Faculty and Staff
- Graduate Programs
- Undergraduate Programs
- Majors/Minors Checksheet
- Education Students
- Non-Major and Certificate Options
- Course Catalog
- Q2S Transition
- Graduate Credit for World Language Teachers
- Study Abroad
- Foreign Language Requirement
- Honors Tutorial College
- Language Testing
- Student Activities
- Career Connections
- Quick Links
- Photo Album
- Library Resources
- Other Info
- Honors and Accomplishments
- Faculty Forms
- Say There Newsletter
- Arts Initiative
- January 2016
- February 2016
- March 2016
- October 2016
- December 2016
- Linked Files
- September 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- September 2014
- March 2013
- October 2012
- August 2012
- March 2012
- January 2012
- October 2011
- July 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- January 2011
- November 2010
- October 2010
- August 2010
- September 2009
- July 2009
- October 2015
- November 2015
- December 2015
- October 2009
- Versions of the Ohio University Alma Mater in Various Languages
Recent News from the Department:
Forthcoming by Daniel Torres:
DEADLINE FOR STUDY ABROAD APPLICATIONS AND SCHOLARSHIPS IS OCT. 1, 2014. DON’T MISS OUT!!
Mark your calendars and please join us for the first colloquium this school year on TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, from 4-5pm.
We will meet in Gordy 113.
Daniel Torres will be speaking to us on one of his publications.
The title of his talk is: “An AIDS narrative: the 20th anniversary edition of Morirás si da una primavera”
The Spanish Club will meet for the first time this Tuesday, September 9th in Gordy 203 @7pm. Conversation hour to follow in the same room.
The Institute for the Empirical Study of Language (IESL) is also recruiting more undergraduate student members. If you know of any students who might be interested in language, learning more about language-related issues, or getting involved in a language-based research project, please send them to Dr. Alonso-Sameño (firstname.lastname@example.org), IESL Director.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR OPI/WPT SIGN UP:
LTI has recently updated their application process for all testing candidates. LTI no longer accepts nor processes paper applications.
Go to: www.languagetesting.com and click on the link in the upper right hand corner to create an account and apply for the test.
Once you create the account, you will be able to search for an application which is listed under University, School or Academic Program as
OHIO UNIVERSITY- DEPT OF MODERN LANG.
Ana Zapata Calle finished her Ph.D. at the University of Missouri with a dissertation on Cuban women poets of the 80′s. Congratulations, Ana!
Professors Get Help in Business French from Paris Chamber, French Embassy
For more information about the French Symposium, the link to the article is below:
Dr. B’s Retirement 2014
In mid-April The Russian Program and The Russian Club hosted a Food Fest. Students from all Russian courses cooked from scratch some of the most popular Russian dishes: borsch (hearty soup with meat, beet, and potatoes), shchi (cabbage soup), pirozhki (mini-pies with ground meat), pel’meni (Russian dumplings), bliny (pancakes), buckwheat mini-pies, Olivier Salad (more popular as Russian Salad), Vinegret Salad (beet salad), Celery Root-Carrot-Apple Salad, mushroom casserole, apple pie, and many more. The crown jewel was a huge pie with rabbit meat and wild mushrooms! More than 50 students and guests showed up. By popular demand, it was decided that the Fest should become an annual event.
Daniel Torres has published a special “20 years anniversary” edition of his first novel Morirás si da una primavera [You Shall Die of AIDS In The Spring] (1993-2013), May 2014.
(Click to enlarge)
- In February this year, 25 students from all levels of Russian language courses participated in the Fifteenth Annual ACTR National Post-Secondary Russian Essay Contest. In this year’s contest, there were 1004 essays submitted from 58 universities, colleges, and institutions across the nation. The essay topic this year was “An important decision in my life.” The essays were sent to Moscow and in late April we received the happy news: our RUS 1120 student Rachel Komich got an Honorable Mention in her category. Rachel is majoring in English. We are so proud of you, Rachel! Way to go!Congratulations!
In 1975 the Thomas and Edna Wolfe Estate provided an endowment to Ohio University to honor with a cash prize a third year and a fourth year student who have earned the highest grade point average from among the Phi Beta Kappa initiates. The awards are in memory of Thomas M. Wolfe and intended by the Wolfe family “to recognize scholastic excellence and attainment, and to acknowledge our debt to higher education.”
This year’s third year Wolfe Award goes to Kristina Carson. Kristina is a double major in French in the Honors Tutorial College and French Education. She has a minor in Linguistics and a TEFL certificate as well as a CALL certificate. She has been the French Club president for the past two years and is part of the FLES program.
Thanks to the generosity of the Wolfe family Kristina will receive a monetary reward.
- Two senior French majors have been selected for the Teaching Assistant Program in France for the 2014-2015 academic year. Danielle Fultz has been assigned to the Académie d’Aix-Marseille. Ben Schaible will teach in the Académie de Rouen. Congratulations to Danielle and Ben!
• SPANISH MA STUDENT Ariadna Sánchez-Hernández who won 1st place in the Arts and Humanities graduate category for her presentation on pragmatic routines in the study abroad context at the Student Research Expo 2014, Ohio University (April 10). http://www.ohio.edu/graduate/expowelcome.cfm
• SPANISH HTC STUDENT Hannah Abrahamson who won first place in the undergraduate category of Arts and Humanities with her presentation on “Representations of the Mayan Woman in the Conquest and Colonization of the Yucatán” at the Student Research Expo 2014, Ohio University (April 10). http://www.ohio.edu/graduate/expowelcome.cfm
• SPANISH HTC STUDENT Brittany Frodge who presented “Informalist Art as Francoist Diplomacy” at the Student Research Expo 2014, Ohio University (April 10).
• FRENCH HTC STUDENT James Schrickel who presented “The Revival of the French Peasant and Traditional Agriculture: The Conflict Between Heritage and Efficiency” at the Student Research Expo 2014, Ohio University (April 10)
• SPANISH HTC STUDENT Kristen Helmsdoerfer who presented “Transnational narrative: Re-examining the Quijote from a Latin American Lens” at the Student Research Expo 2014, Ohio University (April 10).
• FRENCH STUDENT Danielle Fultz who presented “The Inequalities in France’s Egalista’ For First Generation North African Muslims at the Student Research Expo 2014, Ohio University (April 10).
• SPANISH MA STUDENTS Puli García-Torres and Ariadna Sánchez-Hernández who gave research presentations at the Kentucky Foreign Language Conference 2014 in Lexington, Kentucky, this past weekend (April 11 and 12). They both did an outstanding job and received great comments
Congratulations to the new initiates into Sigma Delta Pi, Spanish National Honors Society.
Thirteen students celebrated their new membership this week.
Alicia Sánchez Flores
Adobea Hii Owoo
Éster Sánchez Hernández
Congratulations once again. This is quite an honor!
18th Annual Spanish Spring Colloquium
The Annual Spanish Colloquium took place March 27-29. Below is a link to a blog with more information about it.
Congratulations to Kristina Carson and the French Club!
Congratulations to the French Club that has won Outstanding Programming Award for Fall 2013 from the Division of Student Affairs at the Leadership Gala. The DML will mount the plaque in the main office for all to see. A special thank you and congratulations goes to Kristina Carson, French Club President who made this a reality.
(advisors: Dr. Helm and Dr. Alonso)
(Dr.) Daniel Torres presented “Encuentros personales y textuales con José Emilio Pacheco’” [Personal and Textual Encounters with José Emilio Pacheco] in the Feria Internacional de Lectura de Yucatán 2014 [International Reading Fair in the Yucatan 2014] this March. Elena Poniatowska (Premio Cervantes 2013) was part of his audience. He also presented “Aproximaciones críticas a El Cantar de los Cantares y Una noche de Constantino Cavafis en palabras de José Emilio Pacheco” [Critical Approximations To Song of Song And A Night by Constantin Cavafis In the Words of José Emilio Pacheco] last week.
Ariadna Sánchez-Hernández, an Spanish MA student and a member of the Institute for the Empirical Study of Language, gave a poster presentation entitled “Transferability of Second Languages into Spanish as a Third Language.” The venue was the International Student Union (ISU) Research Symposium. The symposium took place on Friday, February 21, 2014m, 12-4 pm, at Walter Rotunda, Ohio University, Athens campus. Her presentation was a success! Congratulations, Ari!
Please join me in congratulating all of our faculty associated with our undergraduate program in Modern Languages (French, Spanish, and German)! These programs just received national recognition (With Conditions) by the America Council on The Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). We are delighted to receive this recognition of the growing strength of our academic programs. (R. Middleton, College of Education)
And a special thank you to Barb Reichenbach who submitted all the reports!
Summer Session 2014 – French Translation (FR5810, 5820). For graduate programs that require a reading knowledge of French, this is the course for you! Please let us know if you plan to take the course this summer. (email@example.com)
Two German majors receive teaching Fulbright for 2013-14
The Department of Modern Languages is happy to recognize Ashley Enyeart and Chelsea Patton, German majors, who have received Teaching Fulbrights for 2013-14 in Germany.
Click here to read more about it!
Attention Business or Economic majors! If you plan to study a foreign language through an Ohio University Study Abroad Program there is a new scholarship that you can apply for! See the Department of Modern Languages in Gordy 283 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.